A 23-year-old from the online dating site asked me, after reading my profile, if I have any advice for him. He’s a young Buddhist and is interested in learning more about life. I told him the best advice I could give anyone is to be here now and to be in the present moment as much as possible because only from the present moment do we have the power to heal the past and create the future.
So now, I am wondering if I were to put together a spiritual survival kit of sorts, what would be in it? Here are some of the books, dvds and other items I would put together for someone starting down the path I have been on:
- The Bible
- A dvd of What the Bleep Do We Know, the extended quantum edition
- The Game of Life and How to Play it by Florence Scovel Shinn
- Living Buddha, Living Christ by Thich Nhat Hanh
- You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay
- A Return to Love by Marianne Williamson
- A Course in Miracles
- Angels 101 by Doreen Virtue
- The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- Science of Mind by Ernest Holmes
- Tao te Ching
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo
- Crystals, specifically: clear quartz, rose quartz, amethyst, citrine, moonstone, and blue lace agate
- Beautiful music
- Paper and pen
- A sense of humor
There are a lot more books I could put on the list. In the past few years I have read so many that have impacted me. Whenever I find a book that speaks to me, it invariably leads me to others that do as well.
Even with its ups and downs, this has been an amazing journey I’ve been on the past several years. It makes me really look forward to whatever is next. It just gets better and better.
It’s a privilege to share what I have learned with everyone.